I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hey guys, look what I found!

Not even Topps could find this!



Hey Moe! Hey Larry! I got a 1961 Topps Phil Rizzuto MVP card at the vintage show! Wait... That card seems awfully familiar to me. Where have I heard of this card before?

Oh yeah. Here:



And here.



And here. And here. Also here. Not here, but related.

This card was apparently too tough for Topps' fulfillment company to find for the Million Card Giveaway promotion, and it resulted in a bunch of customers having a pretty crummy experience with the Transmogrifier. I just found it in a bargain box for three bucks. From a pretty well known vintage dealer. Someone out there wasn't trying hard enough, or perhaps lucked into a very cheap lot of 1954 Topps commons and figured a way to make the company a little extra profit. I love '54 Topps as much as the next guy (I nabbed a sweet one at the show!) but sending someone a '54 common in place of a Hall of Famer... a Yankee Hall of Famer... a beloved Yankee Hall of Famer... beloved even by fans who HATE the fuckin' Yankees... That... That ain't right, dude. Not cool.



I mean, Bob Turley and Eddie Robinson were pretty good players, but they were never in a Meatloaf song for crying out loud.

11 comments:

BASEBALL DAD said...

That's great for you ! No so much for the other guys. How can they offer something that they can't cover? Why even make it available? It makes me kind of glad I haven't uncovered anything like that. I'm going to a good sized show near Cleveland tomorrow, I'll have to see what I can find there.

The Lost Collector said...

Sweet card! Nice find.

night owl said...

Point proven. Now get rid of that thing!

dayf said...

Y U NO LIKE SCOOTER

night owl said...

1. He's a Yankee.
2. I had to listen to that Yankee apologist almost every week of the summer through my whole childhood as he brainwashed my friends (and not-so-friends) into thinking that Mike Pagliarulo, Bucky Dent and Ron Davis (among others) were superstars. He actually made viewers dumber when they listened to him (unless all you wanted to know is who made the best cannolis), which I don't think should be a sports broadcaster's goal.
3. He's a Yankee.

dayf said...

Fair enough. But know this - Phil's willingness to discuss pertinent information on high quality cannolis only makes me like him more.

Don't worry, I got twice as many Dodgers at the show as I did Yankees so you'll get your fun soon.

Anonymous said...

luv dee yank's luvz dee card evn mor!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i haz qwesten, wer iz d bst place 2 find vaubl crdsthat iznt 2 expensiv ? cuz ineed mor vluble crdz:]

Anonymous said...

mstr nite owl tel me what the #&!! is wrng wit the yank's. iz u 1 of dem red sox suckerz if so put the red sock in yo mouf

Anonymous said...

mstr nite owl tel me what the #&!! is wrng wit the yank's. iz u 1 of dem red sox suckerz if so put the red sock in yo mouf

Anonymous said...

mstr nite owl tel me what the #&!! is wrng wit the yank's. iz u 1 of dem red sox suckerz if so put the red sock in yo mouf